Mom’s Pie Filling
Pumpkin Pie Filling:
1 cup granulated sugar
1.5 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
4 cups of Pumpkin- puree*. This can be store bought, but you can get more personal results if you decide to make your own.
– Pick out your pumpkin. You want one that’s labeled “sugar” or “pie” pumpkin. Choose a pumpkin that feels heavy for its size. REMEMBER WE WILL NEED ABOUT 2 Lbs. worth of puree.
– Preheat your oven to 375°F. Slice the pumpkin in half lengthwise, stem to base.
– Use a spoon to scoop out the seeds and “guts” from the inside of the pumpkin and set them aside. You can roast those seeds, so don’t throw them out.
– Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, a silicone baking mat or foil. Place your pumpkin halves cut side down on the baking sheet. Place the pan into the oven for about 45-55 minutes. You should be able to pierce through the pumpkin easily with a fork when it’s done.
– Let the pumpkin cool for about 15 minutes, then use a spoon to scoop out the flesh, leaving the skin behind. Place the flesh into the bowl of a food processor (a good blender would work, too).
– Put your food processor to work. Start by pulsing the pumpkin in the food processor. You may need to scrape down the sides every now and then. Resist the urge to add water; once the pumpkin flesh starts to break down, it will release liquid and be easier to process. Keep pulsing until it is relatively smooth. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and let the food processor run until smooth.