Beginners Sushi Rolling Class Information
Even though this is an intro to sushi rolling, it is one of our higher skilled cooking classes requiring a few more ingredients and equipment. This being said, the equipment you will need along with some of the ingredients can be used many times over to use what you will learn to impress friends or just prepare dinner for the family.
Below is a full grocery & equipment list. There will also be some light prep work of precooking the sushi rice so that is slightly cooled and ready to roll.
If you have never been to an international market, this class is going to take you there to get some of these items, it is a great experience. Every time I go I try something new with the family!
Here’s what you will need…
- 3 Cups Sushi Rice
- Rice Wine Vinegar, Unseasoned (if you have seasoned already in your pantry that is fine)
- Kosher Salt
- Nori, Seaweed Sheets (at least 1 pack)
- Low Sodium Soy Sauce
- Sesame Seeds, Black
- Wasabi Paste (Optional)
- Pickled Ginger (Optional)
- 1 English Cucumber (the long skinny ones in plastic)
- 2 Avocados – ripe but firm
- 1 Bunch Green Onion
- 2 Large Carrots
- 2 Cups AP Flour
- 2 Large Eggs
- Water & Ice
- Japanese or Regular Mayonnaise
- Sweet Chili Sauce
- 1 Jug Canola Oil (for frying)
- Sashimi Grade Tuna, at least 8oz (will most likely be sold frozen, thaw night before class…It is important that it is sushi grade. salmon works well as a substitute.)
- Surimi, Crab Stick (this a crab/white fish mixture that looks like crab, fresh crab works as well but surimi is more user friendly and more affordable, thaw prior to class.)
- 10 ea 21/25 Shrimp Peeled & Deveined if possible, if not we will show you how to clean those bad boys up (You may have to buy a whole bag but that’s ok, thaw what you need and keep the rest frozen)
- 2 Bamboo Sushi Rolling Mats (can be found at international store and most supermarkets, or Amazon)
- Plastic Wrap (Not Cling Wrap)
- 6” or 8” Wooden Skewers
- Aluminum Half Pans or Sheet Trays (to hold all of your prepped ingredients for rolling)
- 4 Bowls (for mixing)
- 2 Plastic Squeeze Bottles
- Wooden Spoon
- Chef Knife
- Cutting Board
- Rice Cooker (Optional)
- Paper Towel Roll
- Frying Pan
Please have the sushi rice made and ready prior to the start of class. The entire process to make the rice should take about an hour.
Sushi Rice Recipe:
- 1.5 C sushi Rice
- 2 C water
- 1/3 C rice wine vinegar
- 1 tsp sugar
- ½ tsp kosher salt
Method of Preparation:
Mix rice with water & bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cover, simmering for about 20 minutes or until water is absorbed. Give it a stir about every 5 minutes. Remove from heat & let stand for 10 minutes to finish, fluff gently with fork. taste for tenderness, we do not want hard rice.
After about 20 minutes once rice is slightly cooled, mix the remaining ingredients in a bowl then stir into rice gently to season. Rice should be slightly tacky and tasty. Cover loosely with a dry towel & leave at room temperature.
This is a generic recipe, you may also use the recipe on package. If you own a rice cooker, it is the most effective way to do it.
I know this can all seem a little overwhelming, at any point you have any questions please don’t hesitate to reach out to me. After you sign up for the class, my contact information will be shared with you. -Jereme